Spicy Peanut Noodle Salad
While they require a bit of preparation to begin (depending on how good you are at dicing things!) these mason jar salads are a great grab and go snack and will keep up to five days in the fridge. Just shake, pour into a bowl and enjoy!
- 4 mason jars quart size
For the Salad
- 4 ounces soba noodles dry, by weight
- 1 red bell pepper small dice
- 1 cup edamame cooked and shelled
- 4 carrots shredded
- 8 ounces chicken breast chopped fine
- 2 green onions cut on the bias
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter creamy
- 4 teaspoons sambal olek
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons non fat plain greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Cook the Noodles
Cook noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain in a colander and rinse immediately with cold water. Set aside.
Prepare the Spicy Peanut Dressing
In a large bowl whisk together the peanut butter, sambal olek, rice wine vinegar, nonfat greek yogurt, and soy sauce. While whisking, drizzle in olive oil until incorporated.
Assemble the Jars
Divide the dressing equally between the mason jars. (Approximately 1/4 cup per jar.) Layer as follows:
* 1/4 Cup Spicy Peanut Dressing (bottom)
* 2.5 oz Cooked Soba Noodles (first)
* 1/4 ct. Diced Bell Pepper
* 1/4 cup Edamame
* 1 Shredded Carrot
* 2 oz Chicken
* Green Onions (last)
Top with lids and refrigerate. Will keep for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, shake, pour into a bowl, stir and enjoy!
Even if you aren't a huge fan of spice, I encourage you to use at least a pinch of Sambal Olek to help cut through the sweetness of the greek yogurt. These salads keep best if there is less air in the jar, so feel free to add lettuce to the jar if you are keeping it for longer than a few days.